Skip to main content

My First Grouse!

Today was a pretty special day. Our kids are on fall break, and although we tossed around different plans for epic adventures, we ended up deciding to keep it simple and hang at home for most of the break. I,  however, was craving a family day in the mountains. We loaded up and headed into the woods. It always takes a little time away from electronics for our kids to detox and return to their wonderful selves,  and today proved no different, but we soon settled into a relaxing mood that included watching the aspen leaves fall and scanning the hillsides for grouse.  As you may have read in a previous post, A Walk in the Woods, I have been out searching with my husband for some grouse, but have yet to actually find one to even attempt shooting.  I have been after my first grouse for some time now, having decided it was time to step into a more active role in our family’s food production.

For years I swore I would never hunt.  Hunting is a part of our family's lifestyle, since my husband has always hunted, and I am happy to cook everything he brings home.  At first, I insisted that the meat come in the house looking like it would if it came from a store, thinking I couldn't handle the "blood and guts."  Slowly, I began to be more involved in the processing of the meat, and eventually was a regular part of my husband's hunting practices, if only in the post-hunt steps.  At some point a switch was flipped.  I can't quite explain why, but I suddenly felt hypocritical eating meat that I had no hand in dispatching.  All of a sudden, I wasn't at all bothered by the idea of hunting myself, and it became apparent that I really needed, for my own sense of morality, to start hunting myself.  
This may sound a little strange, or even backwards, so I think it is important I explain.  When I talk about morality and my food, I refer to the knowledge of where that food came from, how it was handled, and who was responsible for it.  It occurred to me that I had very little knowledge of where most of my food came from.  I loved that my husband brought home an elk or deer most years, and that we grew the occasional head of lettuce, but most of our food came from the grocery store. 

My awareness of the distance between myself and my food hit me like a tidal wave.  It was amazingly overwhelming, and I needed to change it immediately.  Most of my friends and family were shocked, but my mind was made up.  I was going to begin my journey to a more responsible connection with my food, and because it was fall, it was going to start with a small mountain bird, a grouse.

And then I came up against the wall that many do, my ambition was no match for the plans of mother nature.  She had no intention of making this journey easy on me.  And that is where my story picks back up.  For nearly a month I had traipsed through the woods, following my husband, who was feeling the pressure of starting off my hunting career.  As we approached the end of grouse season I had begun to tell myself it looked like it wasn't going to happen this year.  

So here we were, in the mountains above our home, in one of my favorite places on the planet.  I let go of the expectation I would shoot a grouse, and just enjoyed the day with my family.

The kids let go of their ties to technology, and rediscovered their love of the mountains.  I reveled in the happiness of my family, and the closeness we found in the wild.  The air was crisp and the sky was clear.  It was one of those perfect days that you wish would never end.  We finally had to head home, and we started the drive down the mountain.  This road is undeniably my favorite drive, ever.  This time of year it shines, with the aspens glowing, and leaves falling in slow motion, even the drive home is perfect.

And then I spotted it.  There was a grouse in a tree, just waiting for me.  This part of the story is a bit fuzzy in memory, since excitement has clouded the details, but it goes a little like this; I yelled, Nick hit the brakes, I grabbed the shot gun and hopped out of the car, ran into the woods, got into position, and took aim.  Then I remember very clearly what happened.  

I took my time.  

I mean, a long time.

Later, Nick confided to me that he was panicking in the car, wondering why I wasn't pulling the trigger.  I laugh now, but then I was very calm, and focused.  I was breathing, focusing, visualizing my target. 

The grouse obviously REALLY wanted me to become a huntress, because it just sat there, and sat, and waited.  It was probably thinking, come on lady!

I finally pulled the trigger, and the grouse fell out of the tree.  Yippee!  I did it!  I am triumphant! Nick came running out of the car, the kids were cheering, and I was smiling from ear to ear.  

And thank goodness for that silly grouse, who sat there and waited to get shot, because I am hooked, there is no going back!





































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shredded Elk Carne Adovada

Every time Nick harvests an elk, we are usually left with a lot of meat that is hard to clean and prepare because of all the sinew. We set it aside and label it “stew” or “shank” and it sits in the freezer. I have been so fed up with this waste of good meat, so Nick and I decided it was time to step out of our comfort zone and do SOMETHING with the lower leg meat. We were given some advice from our friend and New Mexico Senator, Martin Heinrich, who claims this is his favorite cut of meat. He told us to cover it in red chile and cook it overnight. So I took that advice and ran with it! The result was absolutely fantastic! I will definitely be experimenting with more ways to use this cut of meat from now on!  Shredded Elk Shank Carne Adovada About 2 pounds elk shank ( Lower leg) Salt and pepper to taste  1 tablespoon garlic powder  3 tablespoons red chili powder  1 teaspoon cumin  1 teaspoon coriander  half a teaspoon paprika  About 1 teaspoon pepper About 1 tea

Elk Breakfast Sausage

  I love breakfast.  I love mornings when we have time to make a big breakfast, and sit together at the table to enjoy it.  This time of year it is cold early in the morning, and I relish those days when we can wait just long enough for the sunshine to start spreading across the dining table, warming up the house.   Of course, breakfast is not usually set to such ideal conditions. We are usually rushing to get ready for school and work, and don't often have the luxury of time and relaxation. That means that quick healthy breakfasts are coveted by this busy mom! When we processed the elk I recently harvested, we ended up with a lot of cuts of meat best suited for the grinder. We decided that along with our standard burger, we wanted to make breakfast sausage as well. I use so much burger throughout the year, in pasta, casseroles, chili, and a ton of other meals. But we often overlook breakfast in our planning.  Not this year! In the past when I have made breakfast sausage we have pa

The Real Deal

 No matter what I have harvested before, as my first New Mexico Deer hunt approached, I began to feel like, "this is the real deal!" When draw results were released, and I found out I had drawn a deer tag in the northwest corner of our state, I was ecstatic! And then I was nervous.  This is what I had been working towards, but was I really ready? Was I really a huntress,or just kidding myself? Every time I wrestled with these questions, the answer I felt inside myself was, you are ready, this is real, this is you .  When the actual weekend of my hunt was upon me, I felt it all, excitement, nervousness, pride, trepidation... And then it was Friday afternoon, my workday was over, and the time had come. I had been building towards this moment for so long, I couldn't wait. As with most things involving children, getting out of the house took forever. Nick had gone ahead, and found a campsite. I packed up for myself and the kids, and dropped them off at a friends house. Then t