Skip to main content

A Walk in the Woods (aka Grouse Hunting)

Following my hubby through the woods.

I bought a hunting license this year. That statement may not be shocking to most of you, but it is if you’ve known me in my younger years.  I grew up in a family of ranchers, although we stopped ranching when I was a little girl, and beef was always on the menu.  Hunting, however, was a foreign concept.  There were certainly members of my extended family who hunted, but it was not something I was ever exposed to.  In high school I became very attached to one of the steers we were raising for meat, and I swore off red meat.  Several family members love to tell the story of Chrissy the Vegetarian, but I was far from it.  I never gave up chicken or pork.  Especially not bacon, because, it's bacon.  Enough said.

When I met my husband I had no understanding of why someone would hunt, and although I didn't really think it was wrong, I didn't think it was something I would ever really support, let alone participate in.  But I started to see that Nick was hunting as a means to sustain.  Hunting for food, not trophies.  Then one day I tried some of his elk jerky, and that was it.  I was a rare-steak-eating wife of a hunter.  I have come to love cooking with wild game, and found a way of life in providing our family healthy food harvested from the woods, rather than bought at a store.  Most surprising of all, especially to myself, I have started to think that I need to fully embody my newfound philosophy on food, by hunting myself.

Nick, showing me how to aim the shotgun.


And so there I was, hunting license purchased, heading to the mountains for my first official hunt for grouse with my happy husband.  The idea of actually killing an animal is not something I have fully embraced yet, but the idea of providing for my family is something I am fully on board with.  I was focused, ready, and determined to bring home dinner.  I quickly became enamored with grouse hunting, because grouse live in my favorite place, at high elevations in the beautiful Sangre de Cristo Mountains that surround Taos.  Nick and I chose a location we had been at just a week before, where we had practically stepped on several grouse.  As we walked through the woods I tried to calm myself, thinking about how close I felt to the mountains, and the food I would be providing for my family.  I listened to the wind in the trees, the calming sound of a creek, just out of sight, and the crunch of leaves beneath my feet.  I focused on slowing my heart rate, and preparing myself for what was to come.
As it turns out, we had a beautiful walk in the woods, and that was about it.  We didn't see a single grouse, or even sign of a grouse.  We walked around for a couple of hours, and a couple of miles.  It was an amazing morning in the mountains, and nothing more.  It was a strange feeling to return to the car, disappointed that I hadn't shot anything.  I couldn't help but laugh at my mood, I was so prepared, and so let down.  I plan on returning to the woods soon, and am determined to continue on this path towards providing for my family.  I'm just hoping that future hunting trips are a little less anti-climactic!

The good news is that there was a silver lining to our grouse-less hunting trip.   We stumbled upon this cauliflower mushroom!  We have been trying to properly identify one of these for ages!  Hooray!  The mountains still provided.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shredded Elk Carne Adovada

Every time Nick harvests an elk, we are usually left with a lot of meat that is hard to clean and prepare because of all the sinew. We set it aside and label it “stew” or “shank” and it sits in the freezer. I have been so fed up with this waste of good meat, so Nick and I decided it was time to step out of our comfort zone and do SOMETHING with the lower leg meat. We were given some advice from our friend and New Mexico Senator, Martin Heinrich, who claims this is his favorite cut of meat. He told us to cover it in red chile and cook it overnight. So I took that advice and ran with it! The result was absolutely fantastic! I will definitely be experimenting with more ways to use this cut of meat from now on!  Shredded Elk Shank Carne Adovada About 2 pounds elk shank ( Lower leg) Salt and pepper to taste  1 tablespoon garlic powder  3 tablespoons red chili powder  1 teaspoon cumin  1 teaspoon coriander  half a teaspoon paprika  About 1 teaspoon pepper About 1 tea

Elk Breakfast Sausage

  I love breakfast.  I love mornings when we have time to make a big breakfast, and sit together at the table to enjoy it.  This time of year it is cold early in the morning, and I relish those days when we can wait just long enough for the sunshine to start spreading across the dining table, warming up the house.   Of course, breakfast is not usually set to such ideal conditions. We are usually rushing to get ready for school and work, and don't often have the luxury of time and relaxation. That means that quick healthy breakfasts are coveted by this busy mom! When we processed the elk I recently harvested, we ended up with a lot of cuts of meat best suited for the grinder. We decided that along with our standard burger, we wanted to make breakfast sausage as well. I use so much burger throughout the year, in pasta, casseroles, chili, and a ton of other meals. But we often overlook breakfast in our planning.  Not this year! In the past when I have made breakfast sausage we have pa

The Real Deal

 No matter what I have harvested before, as my first New Mexico Deer hunt approached, I began to feel like, "this is the real deal!" When draw results were released, and I found out I had drawn a deer tag in the northwest corner of our state, I was ecstatic! And then I was nervous.  This is what I had been working towards, but was I really ready? Was I really a huntress,or just kidding myself? Every time I wrestled with these questions, the answer I felt inside myself was, you are ready, this is real, this is you .  When the actual weekend of my hunt was upon me, I felt it all, excitement, nervousness, pride, trepidation... And then it was Friday afternoon, my workday was over, and the time had come. I had been building towards this moment for so long, I couldn't wait. As with most things involving children, getting out of the house took forever. Nick had gone ahead, and found a campsite. I packed up for myself and the kids, and dropped them off at a friends house. Then t