Skip to main content

Elk Breakfast Sausage

 


I love breakfast.  I love mornings when we have time to make a big breakfast, and sit together at the table to enjoy it.  This time of year it is cold early in the morning, and I relish those days when we can wait just long enough for the sunshine to start spreading across the dining table, warming up the house.  

Of course, breakfast is not usually set to such ideal conditions. We are usually rushing to get ready for school and work, and don't often have the luxury of time and relaxation. That means that quick healthy breakfasts are coveted by this busy mom!

When we processed the elk I recently harvested, we ended up with a lot of cuts of meat best suited for the grinder. We decided that along with our standard burger, we wanted to make breakfast sausage as well. I use so much burger throughout the year, in pasta, casseroles, chili, and a ton of other meals. But we often overlook breakfast in our planning.  Not this year!

In the past when I have made breakfast sausage we have packaged it ground in a bag, and I make the patties while cooking, or just crumble the meat up into scrambled eggs.  As I said earlier, mornings are so busy around here, and I wanted to take the time now, to make things easier for myself later. I decided I wanted to freeze my sausage in patties, so I could just toss them right into the pan in the morning.  


I ended up "flash-freezing" the patties on cookie sheets, then vacuum sealing them in packages of four and six.  This was a pretty simple process, and I would encourage you to do the same!  I know I will be happy with all of the work I did upfront, when I am rushing to feed my family before work this winter!

I came up with this recipe based upon flavors I love. I think food should be personal, so feel free to use my recipe as a jumping off point, and change things up wherever you want!


Elk Breakfast Sausage

Amounts listed are all per pound of meat. This recipe could be made with any form of venison, and I'm sure it would all be delicious.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups bacon, sliced
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika

 Process:

Mix the bacon slices and chunks of elk meat and feed through the grinder using a medium or large grinding plate. Set the mixture aside. Mix the remaining ingredients well, and add to the elk and bacon mixture.  Do this in small portions to try and distribute the ingredients and evenly as possible.  Now change the grinding plate to a small grind.  Feed the mixture back through the grinder once more.

Once all of the sausage has gone through the grinder it is time to form the patties! Roll small balls of sausage in your hands, and then flatten into a patty about the size of your palm. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or freezer paper, and place patties on the sheet. I layered stacks of patties, three high, with paper in between.  Place in the freezer for twenty to thirty minutes, until firm. Place patties into ziplock freezer bags or vacuum seal, and label! When ready to cook, fry in a pan over medium heat in olive oil until cooked through. 

Enjoy!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shredded Elk Carne Adovada

Every time Nick harvests an elk, we are usually left with a lot of meat that is hard to clean and prepare because of all the sinew. We set it aside and label it “stew” or “shank” and it sits in the freezer. I have been so fed up with this waste of good meat, so Nick and I decided it was time to step out of our comfort zone and do SOMETHING with the lower leg meat. We were given some advice from our friend and New Mexico Senator, Martin Heinrich, who claims this is his favorite cut of meat. He told us to cover it in red chile and cook it overnight. So I took that advice and ran with it! The result was absolutely fantastic! I will definitely be experimenting with more ways to use this cut of meat from now on!  Shredded Elk Shank Carne Adovada About 2 pounds elk shank ( Lower leg) Salt and pepper to taste  1 tablespoon garlic powder  3 tablespoons red chili powder  1 teaspoon cumin  1 teaspoon coriander  half a teaspoon paprika  About 1 teaspoon pepper About 1 tea

A Morel-less May

This has been a rather disappointing spring, as far as foraging is concerned.  For the past several years, my husband and myself have been honing in on the exact environment the magical morel mushroom grows in.  This unique mushroom is truly a treasure.  Prolific in more eastern parts of the country as a yellow morel, the rocky mountain version is dark and mysterious. It grows around 8,000 -10,000 feet elevation on steep slopes covered in scrub oak.  We will often find them in clusters, just pushed up from the earth.  Morels will pop up all through the month of May here, right around my birthday, and I look forward to it every year.  A gorgeous Morel from last May After a long mushroom deprived winter, it is a joy to get back into the woods, foraging for these delicious beauties.  This year we grew increasingly more worried as May approached.  Our winter was almost non-existent as far as moisture is concerned, and we crossed our fingers for a wet spring to grow the mushrooms.  Ma

A Perfect Fall Polenta

It is always gratifying when hard work from the summer pays off in a cozy fall meal. I needed something fairly quick to make this evening and when perusing the pantry and freezer came up with dried porcinis, a bag of polenta, and a package of frozen wild pork sausage from a boar my husband harvested in Hawaii last winter. The mushrooms, of course, had been lovingly gathered by all of us this past August, and dried and packaged, just waiting to re-emerge as the weather got colder. In the midst of mushroom season there always comes a point where I am surrounded by bags of Boletes, dreading the process of slicing and drying every single one of them. I have to remind myself how happy I will be in the fall or winter months when there are no fresh mushrooms to be seen and I can reach into the pantry and pull out that earthy goodness. And so it was tonight. As I opened the bag I could almost smell the mountains again, and just sat there staring at my treasure. I re-hydrated the mushro