Skip to main content

The Best Turkey Broth Ever

 We raised turkeys this year for the first time.  We had been talking about raising meat birds for some time, and had planned on starting with chickens, but the opportunity to raise Broad Breasted White turkeys came along, and we just jumped in.  


Raising these turkeys has been a wonderful experience, and one we plan on repeating next year.  These birds were personable, and so fun to visit with every day.  It was eye opening and emotional for me to raise and butcher my own meat, but I am so glad I did.  Find out more about our journey raising turkeys here.  



Now I want to talk broth!  I use broth in practically everything I make.  I buy so much chicken broth at the grocery store, I would be scared to add up my total cost!  Therefore, making my own broth has been top on my list of homesteading chores.  I have made a lot of broth over the years, and this is my favorite way to do it, so I thought I'd share it with you. 

First of all, you need a carcass.  I used my turkeys, but I have also made broth with chicken carcasses in exactly the same way, you would just get less broth from a chicken.  For the last few years I have given up of the idea of roasting a whole turkey for Thanksgiving.  I have found much more delicious ways of cooking my turkey that don't involve taking up my oven for an entire day.  For this reason, we didn't keep any turkeys whole.  To break down the turkey I removed the wings first, then both legs at the joints.  I then cut the breast meat off the bone, and seal each type of meat in separate vacuum sealed bags.  




We eat a lot of ground turkey, so I cut off any remaining large chunks of meat to add to the grinding pile.  I am then left with a carcass, neck still attached.  If you buy a turkey for Thanksgiving and want to use the carcass for broth, just add the neck, I use the rest of the giblets separately. Time to start the broth!

A turkey carcass is big! I used my giant canning pot to make the broth, since it is about the only thing I could fit the carcass in.  It is a 21.5 quart granite ware stock pot, and it gets used for a lot of projects around here.  To the pot I add a whole onion, quartered and skin on, two carrots cut in half, two celery stocks cut in half with tops still on, 4-6 cloves of garlic (I just smash them and toss them in with skin on,) about a tablespoon of peppercorns, and a couple of good sized bay leaves. I then fill the pot with water to the top.



I have found that the best broth comes from as long of a low simmer as possible.  My favorite way to do this is to simmer the broth overnight.  I get it boiling as I am cleaning up dinner, because it takes a long time to boil, and then turn it to low, cover the pot, and let it go all night.  I learned to put something heavy on the lid, because the carcass can shift overnight, and bump the lid off.  In the morning I strain the broth through a fine mesh colander into jugs, and let it cool.


Look at that beautiful color! This is the difference when you simmer all night!  

When the broth is cool enough, I pour it into freezer bags measured in two and four cup measurements.  I push out as much air as possible and dry the outside of the bag.  I then put bags in boxes to go in the freezer, the quart size freezer bags hold two cups of broth perfectly, and fit well standing up in a soda box.  Gallon size freezer bags hold four cups well and lay flat.



From five turkey carcasses I was able to put up fifteen gallons of broth!  This felt like a huge accomplishment.  I am so happy to be able to grab broth whenever I need it.  If I know I will be using broth the next day, I will put a bag inside of a Tupperware in the fridge.  Someday I would love a pressure-canner to be able to free up some freezer time, but for now this method works well.

I hope this provides some inspiration to make your own broth, you wont regret it! It is definitely the best broth I have ever had!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shredded Elk Carne Adovada

Every time Nick harvests an elk, we are usually left with a lot of meat that is hard to clean and prepare because of all the sinew. We set it aside and label it “stew” or “shank” and it sits in the freezer. I have been so fed up with this waste of good meat, so Nick and I decided it was time to step out of our comfort zone and do SOMETHING with the lower leg meat. We were given some advice from our friend and New Mexico Senator, Martin Heinrich, who claims this is his favorite cut of meat. He told us to cover it in red chile and cook it overnight. So I took that advice and ran with it! The result was absolutely fantastic! I will definitely be experimenting with more ways to use this cut of meat from now on!  Shredded Elk Shank Carne Adovada About 2 pounds elk shank ( Lower leg) Salt and pepper to taste  1 tablespoon garlic powder  3 tablespoons red chili powder  1 teaspoon cumin  1 teaspoon coriander  half a teaspoon paprika  About 1 teaspoon pepper About 1 tea

A Morel-less May

This has been a rather disappointing spring, as far as foraging is concerned.  For the past several years, my husband and myself have been honing in on the exact environment the magical morel mushroom grows in.  This unique mushroom is truly a treasure.  Prolific in more eastern parts of the country as a yellow morel, the rocky mountain version is dark and mysterious. It grows around 8,000 -10,000 feet elevation on steep slopes covered in scrub oak.  We will often find them in clusters, just pushed up from the earth.  Morels will pop up all through the month of May here, right around my birthday, and I look forward to it every year.  A gorgeous Morel from last May After a long mushroom deprived winter, it is a joy to get back into the woods, foraging for these delicious beauties.  This year we grew increasingly more worried as May approached.  Our winter was almost non-existent as far as moisture is concerned, and we crossed our fingers for a wet spring to grow the mushrooms.  Ma

A Perfect Fall Polenta

It is always gratifying when hard work from the summer pays off in a cozy fall meal. I needed something fairly quick to make this evening and when perusing the pantry and freezer came up with dried porcinis, a bag of polenta, and a package of frozen wild pork sausage from a boar my husband harvested in Hawaii last winter. The mushrooms, of course, had been lovingly gathered by all of us this past August, and dried and packaged, just waiting to re-emerge as the weather got colder. In the midst of mushroom season there always comes a point where I am surrounded by bags of Boletes, dreading the process of slicing and drying every single one of them. I have to remind myself how happy I will be in the fall or winter months when there are no fresh mushrooms to be seen and I can reach into the pantry and pull out that earthy goodness. And so it was tonight. As I opened the bag I could almost smell the mountains again, and just sat there staring at my treasure. I re-hydrated the mushro